Bygone Beach Days sketchbook

These beautiful watercolours were painted by my Great Grandfather Joseph Fletcher back in the  1920's and are available from my shop!

PADDLING
No matter how high I would roll up my trousers,
they always got soaked,
as the waves rolled ever inwards faster than I could run.
EVENING
The colours of sunsets reflected on the sea always take my breath away.
THE BEACH
Sitting on a rug that was always covered in sand despite my best efforts,
trying to read a book while the wind turned the pages for me. 
STORM CLOUDS
Sometimes the wildness of the sea reflects the storm in my soul. 
APPROACHING RAIN
No matter the weather we stuck out a day at the beach with layers of jumpers and wind in our hair.
SHRIMPING
The whole family peering in rock pools and squealing with delight when we saw movement.
LOW TIDE
Big sky, sun on the water, and the call of oystercatchers.
WATER'S EDGE
While my brothers were busy making amazing sandcastles,
I used to wander along the beach with my bucket,
for what seemed like miles,
looking for shells and other treasures that had been washed up by the sea.
When I got back to my brothers,
I would then decorate their castles with my shells.

0 comments

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx