1 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
750g (1lb 10oz) minced beef
2 carrots, peeled and diced
115g (4oz) chestnut mushrooms, chopped
150ml (5fl oz) red wine
30g (1oz) plain flour
300ml (10fl oz) beef stock
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
2 tsp fresh thyme
for the topping
900g (2lb) potatoes
30g (1oz) butter, plus extra knob for the surface
about 4 tbsp hot milk
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry until starting to brown. Put in the mince and brown, then add the carrots, celery and mushrooms and fry for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and let it bubble for 2-3 minutes over a high heat until reduced by about two-thirds. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock until thickened. Mix in the redcurrant jelly, worcester sauce and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook, cover with lid, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the toping: cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain well in a colander, then return to the pan and mash. Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan 180C/400F/Gas 6)
- Taste the meat mixture for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Spoon into a large baking dish.
- When the meat has cooled slightly, spread the mashed potato on top, making swirling patterns over the surface with a fork. Dot the top with the extra knob of butter, then bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potato is golden and the meat bubbling.