TUNA AND NOODLE CASSEROLE
1 tsp olive oil
140g/5oz button mushrooms
450ml/16fl oz chicken or veg stock
300ml/10fl oz canned condensed cream of mushroom soup
475g 1lb 1oz canned tuna in brine
350g/12oz dried egg noodles
125gg/4 1/2 oz panko breadcrumbs
55g/2oz freshly grated cheese
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- Dice the onion and carrot. Heat the oil in a large oven proof frying pan or wide saucepan. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice the mushroom and add them to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the stock and soup and bring to the boil. Drain the tuna and add it to the pan, breaking up any big chunks. Add the noodles and stir to coat them with the sauce.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes, until the noodles are tender. Preheat the grill to medium.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir the casserole well. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and cheese evenly over the top, then place under the grill for 2-3 minutes till golden brown. Serve immediately.
I’m not sure I would make this again, like this. I bought the breadcrumbs and pre-grated Parmesan cheese as I wanted to follow the recipe and couldn’t find fresh Parmesan from the little shop I went to. They ended up being just like powder over the dish and got into the back of Steve's throat so he didn’t like it, he also doesn’t like Parmesan, so next time I would make my own bread crumbs and just use normal cheese. The casserole part was very nice though. It was a big dish and served 4 so I had it cold the next day for lunch. I also don’t have a pan that goes from the hob to the oven, so just transferred it over to a Pyrex casserole dish before putting it in the oven.