Wednesday, 22 January 2014

victoria sponge with a hole in the middle!

cabin cooking

Steve loves cake and said for Valentines Day he would love a victoria sponge ... what can I say, the man has simple needs!! ;)

Our cooker is pretty fierce and so far every time I have cooked anything it has been over done (even though I have cooked them before perfectly in other ovens) So I decided it would be best this time to do a trial run ... so yesterday I made a victoria sponge ...


a nice simple recipe  ::

Victoria Sponge
for the cake
Ingredients:
200g caster sugar
200g softened butter
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
Directions:
Heat oven to 190C/fan or 170C/gas 5.
Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until its a smooth soft batter.
Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of the spoon. Bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.


for the filling
Ingredients:
100g softened butter
140g icing sugar, sifted
drop of vanilla extract (optional)berry jam
Directions:
Beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in the icing sugar.
Beat in the vanilla extract if you are using it.
Spread the bitter cream over the bottom of the sponges, top it with the jam and sandwich with the second sponge on top.
Dust with some icing sugar.

Nice and simple huh! ... you would think I could manage that wouldn't you, but I decided though to take it out of the oven a couple of minutes early to make sure it wasn't over done or burnt as I really don't trust our cooker yet ... bad decision ... it looked lovely and done, but it wasn't long before the centre of both cakes sunk and I realised the middle wasn't cooked :( boo hoo!

I decided to cut out the middle and make them into a 'ring' cake!

It's a new design for a cake really!! ;) haha

It may look silly, but you know what ... it tastes gorgeous and come Valentines Day, Steve will have the perfect cake!! haha

Have you had any baking disasters recently? I am not sure I want my Auntie Jo and Auntie Pat, who a baking guru's to see this so please don't mention it to them! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...