I have finished a door!! (yes just the one so far!) but I am so pleased with it :)
It came out from under the heavy books looking great ... I trimmed the edges and sanded it all down ...
the sanding made it so lovely and smooth, I just wanted to stroke it ;)
I did use wire wool too, but actually don't think I need to for the others, sand paper is enough.
There were a few small gaps between some of the squares, so I filled them in and sanded again
I didn't want a high gloss finish so found some lovely silk varnish and applied 3 coats
I am sooooo pleased how its worked out and can't wait to start on the others :)
Once they are all done and back up attached to their cupboards I will post a photo to show you :)