Monday, 14 May 2012

magpie monday :: SILVER AND LACE

no glass this week ;)

I called into my favourite shop in town on Saturday ... The Blue Door, and this caught my eye as I was leaving ... its a little jam spoon and such a pretty shape. Its silver and only a couple of quid ... its really sweet and delicate ... I think I need to have a cream tea now ;)
Yesterday we went to Eardisland Antiques Fair, it was in a big marquee ... a lot of the bits were pretty expensive but I did manage to find a couple of bits ...
... this beautiful Indian silver filigree spoon is probably not that old, but being a lacemaker and a silver smith it really appeals to me ... I love the flowers on the handle and the ripple on the leaf shape of the spoon bit ... it was marked as £18 and I got it for £16 ... probably not a total bargain, but I really love it and can't wait till I can hang it in my kichen (when I eventually get one again!)
... the other thing I got was a bargain and kinda follows my shopping theme ... LACE ... its a pretty old lace doily ... it was half price, so only £1.50 ... the label says early 1900's
being a lacemaker, I love looking at old work and although I love a bargain, its sad to think that the hours of work (an I mean hours) are now only worth a few quid.
I am very pleased with my pretty finds and buys :)
 It was also fun looking at all the old samplers ...
... sorry about the reflection on the glass ... I was trying to take them subtly with my phone ;)

Please pop over to MissieLizzie's blog to see more great bargains and links to other MagpieMonday's.

13 comments:

  1. Your spoons are so beautiful. I've never seen one like that Indian one before - imagine the work that went into that! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no me neither, I have seen other filigree items, but none as pretty as my spoon! :)

      Delete
  2. That filigree spoon is stunning! I can't imagine what it would have been used for - do you think it was just decorative? My mum's a lacemaker too. It's a little depressing that such a lot of work can sell for so little, but at least it's valued now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I think it must have been just decorative ... its so delicate that I will just keep it as a decorative item :) and it will make me smile everytime I see it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, these are simply delightful! Who'd a thought a spoon could evoke so much joy? I love cutlery, am constantly having to resist it as we have a shambolic amount.
    Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ... I used to have a lot of unusual spoons, but I sold most of them a few years ago when I moved and had to down size.

      Delete
  4. I love the Indian silver filigree spoon, its so unusual and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What absolute darling items so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ... I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw it :)

      Delete
  6. I love samplers but my fave find of yours is the Indian spoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big sucker for samplers too :)

      Delete
  7. I love samplers too - and I'm hoping to design one of my own (my Magpie Monday post today features some cross stitch books)

    Pretty spoons and lace too! I especially like your jam spoon.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...