magpie monday :: SILVER AND LACE

No glass this week ;)

I called into my favourite shop in town on Saturday ... The Blue Door, and this caught my eye as I was leaving ... its a little jam spoon and such a pretty shape. Its silver and only a couple of quid ... its really sweet and delicate ... I think I need to have a cream tea now ;)
Yesterday we went to Eardisland Antiques Fair, it was in a big marquee ... a lot of the bits were pretty expensive but I did manage to find a couple of bits ...
... this beautiful Indian silver filigree spoon is probably not that old, but being a lacemaker and a silver smith it really appeals to me ... I love the flowers on the handle and the ripple on the leaf shape of the spoon bit ... it was marked as £18 and I got it for £16 ... probably not a total bargain, but I really love it and can't wait till I can hang it in my kichen (when I eventually get one again!)
... the other thing I got was a bargain and kinda follows my shopping theme ... LACE ... its a pretty old lace doily ... it was half price, so only £1.50 ... the label says early 1900's
being a lacemaker, I love looking at old work and although I love a bargain, its sad to think that the hours of work (an I mean hours) are now only worth a few quid.
I am very pleased with my pretty finds and buys :)
 It was also fun looking at all the old samplers ...
... sorry about the reflection on the glass ... I was trying to take them subtly with my phone ;)

Please pop over to MissieLizzie's blog to see more great bargains and links to other MagpieMonday's.

12 comments

  1. Your spoons are so beautiful. I've never seen one like that Indian one before - imagine the work that went into that! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no me neither, I have seen other filigree items, but none as pretty as my spoon! :)

      Delete
  2. That filigree spoon is stunning! I can't imagine what it would have been used for - do you think it was just decorative? My mum's a lacemaker too. It's a little depressing that such a lot of work can sell for so little, but at least it's valued now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I think it must have been just decorative ... its so delicate that I will just keep it as a decorative item :) and it will make me smile everytime I see it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, these are simply delightful! Who'd a thought a spoon could evoke so much joy? I love cutlery, am constantly having to resist it as we have a shambolic amount.
    Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ... I used to have a lot of unusual spoons, but I sold most of them a few years ago when I moved and had to down size.

      Delete
  4. I love the Indian silver filigree spoon, its so unusual and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What absolute darling items so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ... I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw it :)

      Delete
  6. I love samplers but my fave find of yours is the Indian spoon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love samplers too - and I'm hoping to design one of my own (my Magpie Monday post today features some cross stitch books)

    Pretty spoons and lace too! I especially like your jam spoon.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx