EDINBURGH :: post 2

We decided to call on the Queen today and go to Holyrood House which is the Queens official residence while in Scotland. We had slept like logs after our long day yesterday and woke up to gorgeous sunshine. On the walk to the other side of the city from the Castle we saw this lovely Victorian postbox ... not many of them left now! ..... and this stunning gate way full of lily leaves :)


Holyrood House is a beautiful house in the most stunning settings and with a really interesting history including Mary Queen of Scots' Italian secretary being murdered in front of her by her husband!


We spent all morning there.


Attached to the Palace is an Abbey ruin ... I always think that a Church ruin has a magical but peaceful feeling and this was no different ... the arches that reach for the open sky always make me think of all the prayers that have been prayed there over the centuries.


Today is mum's birthday so lunch at the Palace seemed very appropriate ... mum had haggis and neeps (which is swede, or as the Cumbrian's call them, turnips) and I had leek and stilton soup and an enormous bakewell slice (shhh ... don't tell the diet police) ... it was all very yumm :)


I was very restrained with my shopping today, although very tempted by lots of lovely things, I just settled on a decoration for my tree ... and yes it's tartan! haha


We sat and looked at the stunning view for a while before wandering back into town and enjoying the atmosphere, street entertainers and more stops for cups of tea.


We are off home tomorrow ... I can't believe that this break away is almost over, but isn't that the nature of holidays ... long day tomorrow ... should hopefully be home a bit before 10pm.

0 comments

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx